Possible to remove buttons and solder extension wire and new to replace?

Started by Modulo, March 06, 2013, 05:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modulo

Still have been working on a solution for moving buttons to make accessible in case environment. Is it possible to remove buttons on board and then solder wire to pcb and lead to breadboard with buttons attached? There must be a solution for this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

mab

if they are simple touchbuttons which close contact on push, you shouldn`t need to remove them.
Can you access the leads? Solder wires to them and bring them out to the case.
From the schematic the buttons seem to be a resistor ladder connected to an ADC and they close contact to ground after each resistor.
I think simplest would be to replicate the whole ladder and attach it after the first resistor on the board.
This way you need to bring out only one wire, plus ground, and can leave the original buttons (functioning) on the board.
On the schematic as last point in the ladder is UBOOT, doesn`t seem to be connected, but I`m not shure.
When messing with wires on your board be aware of electromagnetic interference (dont pass them through your switching mode power supply...) as they can introduce strange behavior. These are simple on/off buttons so should be no problem.

Modulo

Hey! Thanks for the input. Does look like I can just run off of the leads. Talking soon with an electronics guru to help ensure I don't mess up too much. Don't understand yet the ladder function, kinda a newb but any advice would help!