how to start debian image

Started by vaishali, March 01, 2013, 04:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vaishali

hi there,

i have followed the instructions given on wiki to make your own debian image on sd card....
i successfully loaded it into sd card...
but what should i do to run debian in my vga screen.
i have logged in it with keyboard connected with my wifi board.
but which command i should write to make my debian work in vga screen.

dinks

vaishali

hi john and jwischka,

i am trying to run debian image in my wifi board.
i have build debian image on sd card as per the instructions given in the wiki.
it boots perfactly fine in my serial console putty but it doesn't run in my vga screen.
i have done login : root password : password .
but now i am getting following msg in my screen,
root@debian:~#

now what should i write into it so my debian image starts runing in my screen.
like in R15 image of jwischka i have to write startx after login to start oerating system.
please tell me what should i do.
i am really trying hard but no success yet.
dinks

yt7pwr

With startx you are starting Xorg server (just another Linux service). What wiki page did you read to build SD card image? Final image can be headless (VGA output is inactive, only way to access board is tty console or via network) and with VGA support (console mode or X mode-graphics). Commands which will start VGA output, after login do not exists if your kernel do not support video output. VGA must be enabled in Linux kernel and startup scripts.

jwischka

Quote from: vaishali on March 02, 2013, 12:26:54 PM
hi john and jwischka,

i am trying to run debian image in my wifi board.
i have build debian image on sd card as per the instructions given in the wiki.
it boots perfactly fine in my serial console putty but it doesn't run in my vga screen.
i have done login : root password : password .
but now i am getting following msg in my screen,
root@debian:~#

now what should i write into it so my debian image starts runing in my screen.
like in R15 image of jwischka i have to write startx after login to start oerating system.
please tell me what should i do.
i am really trying hard but no success yet.

If you do not have some sort of X environment installed, then typing startx will not do anything. You can choose what you want to use (LXDE and XFCE are probably the only two that will run with any reasonable speed on the A13). Use apt-get to install, and then startx.

As far as VGA, see posts above. You need it enabled in the kernel, and also in script.bin.

jarmouz

Put this file https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByOKWTCf95tua2J4U1BDS3BVSzQ/edit in arch/arm/configs/a13om_defconfig and execute this command make ARCH=arm a13om_defconfig ... the configuration file  have video enabled