Flash current image on eMMC

Started by msx_23, April 16, 2021, 04:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msx_23

Hello,

I have an A20-OlinuXino-LIME board with eMMc and want to boot from eMMC, but I am not sure how to do it or if it is even possible. I am using the latest buster image as older images are not recommended according to this post:
https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=1502.0

I´m using this image:
A20-OLinuXino-buster-base-20210318-122357.img.7z

The buster image is running fine on SD card, but can I copy the image to eMMC? I read somewhere that it would be only possible wih Jessie, but is that info up to date?

In the following github I found a copy script that also seems to be preinstalled in the image:
https://github.com/OLIMEX/olinuxino-tools/tree/master/src/scripts
But the output is just:
root@a20-olinuxino:~# olinuxino-sd-to-emmc

Detecting board...

Detecting the root device...
Root partition:         /dev/mmcblk0p1
Root device:            /dev/mmcblk0

Detecting eMMC device...
Failed to detect eMMC device!

Do I have to change some settings in Linux/u-boot to be able to detect the eMMC?

Any advice? My main problem is that I don´t kwow which webpages/tutorials are outdated and which are up to date. If the current images are not placable onto eMMC I would go with another image if someone could point me in the right direction and show me the easiest way to go.

LubOlimex

Yes, it is possible to boot from the eMMC with the Linux image that you use.

It is really easy to do - there is a ready-to-use script inside, run "olinuxino-sd-to-emmc" script

~#olinuxino-sd-to-emmc – allows booting from eMMC; transfers the Linux file system from the card to the eMMC memory (if your board has one); boot is placed in SPI flash memory;

Let us know if that helps.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

msx_23

Thanks for your answer, but as I wrote in my original post I already tried this command and it prints the given error message, as it does not find eMMC... Therefore I am not sure if I have to change some settings to be able to detect eMMC in general.

Edit: Just a quick additional idea: Is there a way to check if eMMC is present at all? E.g. where should it be located on the board? Because I want to make sure that our purchasing department did order the correct board variant...

LubOlimex

Hmm, lets first see if it has eMMC - take pictures of the board's top and bottom and publish them somewhere and give me links here so I can tell you if it has eMMC.

msx_23

Here are the pictures, I hope the quality is sufficient:

LubOlimex

Unfortunately, your board has no eMMC. It should be above the A20 chip where you can see the free pads of component U21.

If you wish to use new kernel and boot from flash memory, make sure to get board with eMMC (not the ones with NAND). The exact board variant with 16GB eMMC is A20-OLinuXino-LIME-e16Gs16M and this is link of that variant selected:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/A20-OLinuXino-LIME-e16Gs16M/open-source-hardware

msx_23