Latest bullseye-minimal image olinuxino-sd-to-emmc not boot on A20

Started by timnis76, December 27, 2021, 10:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvanSB

@LubOlimex if it can be of any help:

* Same power supply of another board that worked flawlessly but that had been set up several months ago.

* if the boards boot (sd/emmc) they seem to work reliably with the same power supply.
Not fully tested but spi, serial and a couple of gpio works. eth works, usb connected to barcode or usb flash works.

* 2 boards, same behavior. Other reporting same problem.

* running olinuxino-st-to-emmc after commenting out

u-boot-install ${_emmc_device}

works

* after preparing the emmc boot manually, booting the board from emmc, running
u-boot-install /dev/mmcblk1
the board is still able to boot from emmc.

A bit surprising since I've tried to manually run the process and when I
u-boot-install /dev/mmcblk1
at the end the board became unbootable from emmc and starting the board from sd and trying to mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 failed with

bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mmcblk1p1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I gave a look to github and there weren't interesting changes on olinuxino-sd-to-emmc but there were too many changes to u-boot-olinuxino packages and I didn't have time to spot anything interesting.

If I've any spare time I'll try to replicate the problem on one of the 2 boards that now are working as expected.

The only thing I noticed that I find suspicious is
mmc extcsd read /dev/mmcblk1

Partitions attribute [PARTITIONS_ATTRIBUTE]: 0x00
Partitioning Setting [PARTITION_SETTING_COMPLETED]: 0x00
 Device partition setting NOT complete
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^
General Purpose Partition Size
 [GP_SIZE_MULT_4]: 0x000000
 [GP_SIZE_MULT_3]: 0x000000
 [GP_SIZE_MULT_2]: 0x000000
 [GP_SIZE_MULT_1]: 0x000000

but this is the same regardless if the board can boot from emmc or not.

thanks

LubOlimex

A little update to everyone with similar error reported on eMMC boot - it seems that it happens when the SD card is same size or bigger than the eMMC. When you first boot the Linux the image from the card, the image automatically expands to the full size of the SD card, and then when you try to transfer to eMMC, it can't fit on the eMMC.

As a workaround make sure that you are using microSD card with size smaller than the on-board eMMC. Notice that 8GB eMMC sometimes can have as low as 7GB usable. This means if you have 8GB card and 8GB eMMC - there is a good chance that the image from the card won't fit the eMMC memory.

We are looking into ways to improve the script to be more consistent.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex