A13 Micro WLAN setup

Started by Ruhig_Brauner, January 13, 2014, 11:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruhig_Brauner

Hi,

I am new here and also new to micro controllers so here is a big "hello" to everyone: Hello!  ;)
After two evenings of google I decided to ask you for help: I got an A13 micro for chrismas, cool. ;D What I could achieve so far is that it runs linux. Sadly, I can't get any internet connection with wifi / wlan.
I got an little USB wlan adapter. For what I can tell, it gets detected and I also can search for networks and log in to one.(iwlist and iwconfig)
But for some reason, maybe because the route table is totaly empty, I can't ping to anything. When I tried "dhclient wlan3" to get an IP, nothing happens after some busy waiting. (At least I think so, don't realy know where to look at. ;) )

The question is, what could be the problem? Could it be something with the driver even if I can search for networks and log into networks?

The problem is that on most internet pages, people talk about ubunto and so on where many usefule tools are already installed. This makes troubleshooting quite hard. Could someone help me?

Thanks!

Lurch

Could be a few things. Normally, you would boot, do an ifconfig -a to see which wlan number is being used, and then set that up as default in /etc/network/interfaces (and also comment out eth0 if not already commented out).
You can set up wlan name and password there.
You can also set up the gateway there - but you should do that in /etc/resolv.conf anyway.
A wrong subnet mask, or gateway will prevent you from seeing the device on your network.

Ruhig_Brauner

Hi,
thanks for your answer. :)

But for what it looks like, it shoudln't be any driver or hardware issue, right?

I will have to figure out what the gateway is then. I think I will mostly copy and paste these settings from an raspberry, don't have any other linux systems here. ;D

Isn't the resolf.conf a DNS configuration? How can I change the gateway there?

Thanks again! ;D

Lurch

Use the settings from the Pi, or better still, just try the command ifconfig -a on the Pi and you will get the gateway info.
resolv.conf will probably only contain the gateway address, nothing else.
It is usually preset to 192.168.0.1 I believe, which is likely not correct for your network. 
You must be root to change it.

Ruhig_Brauner

Hi :)

So I worked a bit with the interfaces file and actually deleted every content since most of it was ignored anyway (#). I added something like this:

auto wlan3
iface wlan3 inet static
   address ...
   netmask ...
   gateway ...

But this didn't worked after updating the network. I could ping 192.168.0.1 (which actually is the default gateway in my network :D) but didn't got any response.

Next try: Using dhcp in some sort.

auto wlan3
iface wlan3 inet dhcp
   wpa-ssid ...
   wpa-mode managed
   wpa-key "s:..."

With this, I still didn't got any IP. You can se that something happens in order to get a new IP with dhcp. Here is what I get after updating the network:
"No DHCPOFFERS received
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
done."

(I especcialy like the "done" ;D)

I didn't copied the /interfaces from the PI because I didn't understand it:
"allow-hotplug wlan0
ifaces wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp"

Should I config something in the wpa-supplicant.conf? I am so lost!