Graphics under Linux

Started by David Goadby, November 21, 2012, 05:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Goadby

I want to run some Python applications that have graphics output. Ideally I would like to use GTK. There are images of Gimp running on the Wordpress site but no indication of how it was done.

So, does anyone know which version of GTK we can run on the A13 and how we do it? Alternatively, is there a location where it can be downloaded from?

TranceTrouble

David Goadby

I have used PyGame on RPi but not yet on the A13. It has uses far beyond playing games.

You say you are using PyGame; is that on the A13 or another platform? If on the A13 then what did you do to run it?

After installing xfce4 I noticed that gtk-3 was installed as part of the package. I just need to see how I can install just the bare minimum with gtk-3 to enable me to run PyGame from a shell rather than graphics desktop and that's another box ticked.

lordlothar

I am currently trying to set-up QT on A13 to run gui applications on framebuffer. Have you thought of this instead of GTK?

TranceTrouble

Quote from: David Goadby on November 24, 2012, 03:00:39 AM
I have used PyGame on RPi but not yet on the A13. It has uses far beyond playing games.

You say you are using PyGame; is that on the A13 or another platform? If on the A13 then what did you do to run it?

After installing xfce4 I noticed that gtk-3 was installed as part of the package. I just need to see how I can install just the bare minimum with gtk-3 to enable me to run PyGame from a shell rather than graphics desktop and that's another box ticked.
yes this is with A13,

simply use:  apt-get install python-pygame

could be that some more packages are going to be installed just hit y if necessary
then create a python script with your editor of choice and run it like: python script.py  ;)
pygame has some simple tutorials that you can run directly, :)
you can try this one: http://www.pygame.org/docs/tut/intro/intro.html

keyboard/mouse work with the pygame without problems :)

David Goadby

Thanks TranceTrouble for the info. I was looking for pygame instead of python.pygame - DOH!

Lots of fun! Another box ticked! Yee ha!

Now, to see about interacting with the LCD and touch screen.