A13 -- extending memory?

Started by niftyprose, January 13, 2015, 09:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niftyprose

Hi guys, my first post. I expect someone else has asked a similar question, but I couldn't find it.

I'm planning to run a software audio looper on an A13. The program I'm looking at isn't a memory hog, but there is a direct correlation between the available RAM and the length of the loop. While 512Mb is acceptable, 1Gb would be better. Is there an easy and cheap way to extend the A13's memory, or should I just bite the bullet and design around an A20 instead?

TIA, Niftyprose

MBR

You can add some external memory, but from the CPU side of view, it will be just a peripherial device (the same as, for example, SD card) and the program will have to use it as file/devices, not as memory. So unless yo have the source code of the program and can modyfy it to use, for example, memory-mapped file on external device, the A20 is definitely a better option.

PS: You may be tempted to use a fast external drive as a swap to extend the memory, but if this memory is used for storing audio samples and the program expect them to be available withou any delay, the performance wil be probably absolutely terrible.

PS2: There is a very, very complicated way to replace the memory chip with higher-capacity one. Do not want.

JohnS

Cheapest is probably to buy a different board that has the RAM you want.

Very reliable, too!

John

niftyprose

Thanks guys -- exactly the kind of sage advice that saves weeks of wasted efforts. More power to your elbows. Best, W.