Olimex power jack

Started by jmyreen, January 12, 2015, 03:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmyreen

I'm a bit confused about the standard Olimex power jack. There are two standard sizes for 5,5 mm power jacks, with an inner diameter of 2,1 mm and 2,5 mm, respectively. On page https://www.olimex.com/wiki/PWRJACK we can read that the inner diameter on the Olimex "standard power jack" is 2 mm, and that the "corresponding Power Supply Plug of the Power adapter should have external diameter 5.5 mm and inner diameter 2.5 mm". According to the circuit diagram, the part used is YDJ-1136, which has an inner diameter of 2,5 mm http://store.comet.bg/download-file.php?id=757 (The "sibling" part YDJ-1134 has an inner diameter of 2 mm).

In addition, the User's Manual (https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/A20-OLinuXino-LIME/resources/a20-olinuxino-lime-um.pdf) says that the "The power jack used is the typical 2.5mm one used by Olimex in most of our products." Does this refer to the inner diameter of the connector?

Am I right if I assume the 5.5/2.5 mm combination is the correct one, and the wiki page is wrong about the inner diameter?

Maybe the User's Manual should be improved to include both diameters, and perhaps also a short list of compatible plug part numbers?

dave-at-axon

All the A20's I have are 2.1mm types so that is what I use. I've used 2.5 for testing but they are intermittent and sloppy fit so use the 2.1mm size.

jess

Same here - it is 2.1mm for sure (and NOT 2.5).
Also, I prefer plugs that have their tip split for tighter contact
as for example in http://www.vococal.com/12v-dc-55mm21mm-male-cctv-power-pigtail-adaptor-plug_p2498.html

LubOlimex

Hey guys,

I was summoned here by JohnS!

Our boards usually use a DC barrel jack with a 2.0mm thick inner pin. The inner pin is also the positive pin. The outer hole diameter is 6.3mm.

The female plug that fits the barrel jack has inner diameter of 2.1mm and 5.5mm outer diameter. The length of the exposed plug should be between 10mm and 14mm.

Edit: My bad, it turns out the inner pin of the male is 2.0mm and that we used a wrong part name in every schematic that has a power jack. Had to cut some connectors and measure to ensure that now I'm finally correct. Ignore the power jack names in the current schematics (and the bills of materials) - they are wrong. Finally, I was also wrong about what is male and what is female. Trying to fix all the wrongful information about power jack. We would also try to name the connector with a more descriptive name for the future hardware revisions of all boards that have a power jack.

TL:DR Sorry everyone, you were right I was wrong. Very wrong, indeed.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

JohnS

dave-at-axon

Hi Lub,

Can you confirm that the A20-Olinuxino-Lime uses the 2.5 connector and that the A20-Olinuxino-MICRO uses the 2.1mm connector? I have a bunch of A20-Olinuxino-MICRO boards here and they all accept a 2.1mm connector. Measuring the pin too gives me 2.1mm.

This would make sense as it would prevent someone plugging in a 12V 2.1mm plug in to the LIME which is 5V only.

Dave...

jmyreen

After starting this discussion thread I received my first A20 LIME2 boards, and, as far as I can tell, they are in fact equipped with 5.5/2.1 mm (not 2.5 mm) connectors.

Lurch

All the boards I have from Olimex are also 2,1mm (which is fine, since most of the power supplies here come with fixed 2,1mm plugs).  The schematics say YDJ-1136 - which should be 2,5mm - but they are 2,1mm
Not only Olimuxino, but Olimexino-328 and Pinguino also.

PLEASE DON'T CHANGE IT!

jmyreen

The 2.1 mm connector is fine for me, too. In fact, this diameter is better than 2.5 mm, since power supplies with the smaller diameter plugs are easier to come by.

Could somebody at Olimex please fix the documentation to reflect the status quo, to prevent people from buying the wrong kind of power supplies?

LubOlimex

Hello guys,

Please check the edit of my previous post in the thread. The DC barrel jack indeed has inner pin with diameter 2.0mm and outer diameter of 6.3mm. The datasheet looks like this:

Thanks again for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex