Connecting an external USB harddrive

Started by ST, April 10, 2013, 06:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ST

I would like to connect an external USB harddrive to A13 which I plan to use for regular backups of data from my PC. Furthermore I want to boot Debian from it. How do I do it? All available images are meant for 2-4GB SD cards. Is it a problem if the drive is much bigger - 512G-1024G? Or is the procedure of writing the image the same?

Thank you.

drspastic

sorry but i think the a13 chipset can only suck in boot data from the sd card, jtag, or flash chip.
however, you could make a simple debian system to boot on sd card then ad a startup script to switch root to the filesystem on your external drive. another way is to just write a script to mount your hard drive into the filesystem where extra storage is needed.

first system is best, if you succeed post your results, and post an image of the sd card for others.

BJFreeman

the image type of transfer will take the first sectors and partition them and copy the file on sector by sector basis.
so i recommend you compile your own and make a ISO of that, since they will just transfer files per the format of the drive.
you will have to change the boot selector to USB.
I have not done this so may not work.
why not boot off the SD and add the Drive to the fstab
Fulltimer since 89