Debian on NAND

Started by ric.rug, October 12, 2012, 04:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ric.rug

Where can I find a tutorial showing how to install Debian on NAND flash?  ::)

Thx!

olimex

there is no such tutorial at the moment, but Dimitar Gamishev managed to do this, so it's matter of time me to go to his place and drink some beer together... errrr write some tutorials together  ;D

ric.rug

May I help you to write some tutorials.... ehmmmm drink some beer? :P

olimex

You are welcome! Every last friday of the month we have Friday Meetings at Olimex http://olimex.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%8A%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%B8-%D1%81%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%89%D0%B8-fridays-meetings-at-olimex/
where we meet customers and friends and talk about electronics, drink beer, play table tennis etc.

ric.rug

Hi, any news about the procedure to boot Debian from NAND?  :'(

subhagato

Hi, Any update on debian on NAND?

olimex

hno (aka Henrik Nordstrom) works on implementing NAND support in uboot, it's not trivial excersise so it takes time as he should take care for the NAND flsh equal wearing
at the moment there is packer tool in A13-SDK pakage and Dimitar Gamishev made NAND Debian image, BUT according to Henrik and Alejandro the A13-SDK is with GPL violating code and we should not touch it nor re-distribute unless we want to be GPL violators too
so please be patient and wait for the NAND flash support in the community Uboot

oldpenguin

Hello.
Any news on Debian on NAND ?
I don't understand why it can't be done.
I've worked with implementations of u-boot in other boards that support mtd devices. The u-boot is autonomous, and can download an image (in ubifs format) using TFTP and program it into nand.
The ubifs and mtd combination then takes care of flash wear leveling and bad block.

Is this the path that was envisaged by Henrik or are there other ways to do this ?

torqu3e

Yes, is there hope of getting linux booting off the nand? I'd be interested in this so that the sd can be for user data only.

ST

+1.

Any updates on this topic? I need it also...

Thank you!

olimex

Linux on NAND is possible and as I wrote Dimitar done it, but it's done with Allwinner's non GPL bootloader, according to Linux-Sunxi community members I spoke with it's not good to release such image as we become GPL violator as well if we do this
I do not follow the progress on the Linux-sunxi uboot NAND support, I have to ask hno

techn

I have been done some updates to sunxi-bsp. Now it should support creating of livesuit images for sun5i/a13 devices. Please test it and give feedback.

Basic guide/info: http://linux-sunxi.org/BSP
I'll update these instructions there after I have finished the work. Current todo list: sun4i/a10 support, update u-boot to specific version of linux-sunxi repository.

# Create kernel
git clone git://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-bsp.git
./configure # to list all currently supported boards
./configure <selected board>
make linux

# Create rootfs
wget <rootfs ie. https://releases.linaro.org/13.02/ubuntu/quantal-images/nano/linaro-quantal-nano-20130224-286.tar.gz>
./scripts/mk_ext4_rootfs.sh <rootfs> rootfs.ext4

# Create livesuit image
./scripts/mk_livesuit_img.sh -R rootfs.ext4

HeHoPMaJIeH

ST

I'll buy one as soon as Olimex puts Debian in NAND :)