A20 Lime2 brd file errors on eagle 6.6.0 pro

Started by mdotali, November 21, 2014, 07:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdotali

Hi,

I am getting a lot of errors (more than mentioned on the brd file). I have not changed anything. Just downloaded the brd file from (https://github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO/blob/master/HARDWARE/A20-OLinuXino-LIME2/A20-OLinuXino-Lime2_Rev_B.brd) and opened it in Eagle 6.6.0 Pro version. Ran the DRC and got the error report.

I am concerned as in is this board ready to go fab or do we need to take care of something ? Or am I missing something in Eagle (I am an Orcad user so I may be missing something)

See attached image for reference.

LubOlimex

Hey there,

It is the same BRD that we use. We have created the PCB of the board from this board file.

The errors are normal. Most of them come from the difference between the DRC settings and capabilities of the PCB-manufacturer along with physical considerations. Most of them mean that we haven't left sufficient distance between components.

These errors are counted as you see. We have included the number of errors that you should expect. As long as you see the same number as indicated on the board file you are good to go.

Note that the total number of errors is not cumulative since some errors can be seen in more than 1 layer.

If you don't want to see the errors either chose to ignore a specific error or adjust the DRC settings. The problem with setting smaller distance between components, however, is that it would probably lead to a number of manufacturing issues.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

mdotali

But as you can see in the attached image, the number of errors reported "as seen in the dialog 'DRC Errors' " is greater than that mentioned on the BRD file itself.

And I haven't changed any setting of the project. Do you still think its good to go ?

LubOlimex

The number of errors might vary depending on the Eagle version used.

I guarantee that the files you downloaded are working. A good approach would be to inspect the errors it would give you the idea why they appear.

Unfortunately, at the current moment, with the versions of the current software tools that we are using, it is impossible to avoid these errors being reported by Eagle. We have spent quite a lot of time thinking on how to solve the problem while keeping the schematics and the board files reasonably easy to open and explore.

There are better tools for drawing and routing such complex boards, but these are expensive and would jeopardize our open source efforts.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex