How to connect Olinuxino to wifi without display

Started by RFranta, November 24, 2014, 11:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFranta

Hi,

I would like to use Olinuxino (without any kind of display) as a device that will automatically connect to wifi and run some software. The only problem I have is how will user choose his Wifi network and set the password first time without any LCD or HDMI monitor connected to Olinuxino? I need user friendly solution.

Is it possible for example to connect Olinuxino with PC via USB cabel and set wifi and password for it?
Or some other ways to do it?

Thank you very much for any advice.

JohnS

Yes (just do it).

Or you could set it using a PC to change the SD card image before putting the card into the board.

John

RFranta

So I connected Olinuxino with Debian to PC via USB cabel, green LED is blinking.
Could you please explain how can I set the wifi to Olinuxino in the PC?
Thanks

JohnS

Mount SD card, change file(s).

If that's too hard for you then go with logging in over a serial link.

John

dave-at-axon

RFranta

Hi,

I am able to do it with a serial Link, but I am trying to find some really user-friendy easy solutions
for users that will use the device.

JohnS

That's what GUI apps are for.  You've chosen not to use them as I understand you.

Maybe there's a VLC-type thing for serial I/O but it'll be very slow.

You could write something simple.  Probably your best bet.

John

RFranta

Thanks for answers.

It can be GUI app, but I need to do it in remotely in PC, not in Olinuxino because Olinuxino will be without display.
Do you know such app?

JohnS

It'll be scarily slow over serial.  You've in effect chosen to DIY.

John

Stinde

Hi,

You could make a web or other GUI in a PC generating the /etc/network/interfaces file from given parameters.
User will save the interfaces file to a USB stick.
In the Olinuxino board you have a script writing the file from USB stick to /etc/network when when udev detects the USB stick.

Timo