A13 barebones (no linux) development

Started by saand, November 24, 2012, 02:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saand

Hi All,
Has anyone looked into developing with the A13 without linux.

I assume the eclipse toolchain could be used to connect and debug with this however i have not come across any header files available which would allow access to any of the chips registers.

I am looking to start a project that has very fast processing and access to the chips low level control and zero overhead of a operating system.
Any help or examples are much appreciated.

David Goadby

Hi,

I did have a quick look at this but the costs of ARM development kits and yet another learning curve put me off. I didn't realise there was an Eclipse tool-chain for ARM so maybe I missed a trick....

One area you might struggle with is getting the internal information on the A13. There is a lot known now but there are still areas where little is known. Looking at the Android and Linux source code will yield some data but not all. In fact I think that it might be the best place to start.

I appreciate the overhead issues but it is easier to write code with the available development tools either on-board or using a PC-based Linux platform with a cross compiler.

My timing requirements are not too tight, and memory is cheap, so I am happy to run C and Python on the Debian O/S as supplied. I do want some limited graphics but I just discovered that GTK-3 is available so I might be ok without having to run a full X system.

There is some help around if you Google on the topic but it may be a daunting task.

As someone who still programs PIC chips, I am amazed the amount of computing power we are getting for our money! I have already ditched a PIC-based web-server project for an A13 as the software development is so much faster and cheaper.

saand

Hi David,
The ARM dev kit costs and learning curve was also putting me off however the A13-OLinuXino is a very nicely priced dev kit. Now i just have the learning curve.

Regarding the Eclipse tool chain, I have not used Eclipse in its standard form for ARM development but i have used code composer studio 5 which is eclipse with slight modifications for TI.
Also there is a great tutorial on how to setup Eclipse and all of the other software to develop with a ARM7 from philips
http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorial/ARM/ARM_Cross_Development_with_Eclipse.pdf

The lack of internal info on the A13 is mainly what is stopping me. You do make a good suggestion of looking into the android linux source code. I may be able to reverse engineer the info I'm after then create a header file for eclipse development.
I am hoping someone else has given this a go and could save me days or setting up with some useful info from their experiences.

Fadil Berisha

Quote from: saand on November 24, 2012, 02:32:40 AM
Hi All,
Has anyone looked into developing with the A13 without linux.

I assume the eclipse toolchain could be used to connect and debug with this however i have not come across any header files available which would allow access to any of the chips registers.

I am looking to start a project that has very fast processing and access to the chips low level control and zero overhead of a operating system.
Any help or examples are much appreciated.

Everything what you need about chips registers are on A10 User Manual v.1.2 - 2012-04-09. You can download from here:

http://dl.linux-sunxi.org/A10/

There is also A10 Datasheet.

Ragards,
Fadil Berisha