Question about developping my own media center on A20

Started by architekth, November 26, 2014, 06:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

architekth

Hello everyone,

I have one question. I'm a software developer and i want to develop a media center by myself with Qt (just for fun). But i read that there is some problem with video decoding, but i'm really new in embedded world so i'm not sure that i really understand the problem.
I read that the VPU does the work (decoding video), but the open source driver doesn't work on linux ARM distro? There is another solution? Or A20-Olinuxino cannot be use as media center at all?

Thanks for your help  :)

Flo.

JohnS

People use it as media centre.  I don't think they can use it as fully open source one because various things are not available as open source.

Details on linux-sunxi.org and wow is there a lot to read if you really want to know!
May be yet more on rhombus-tech.net

John

architekth

Thanks for your reply.  8)

I'll check your links  ;). Anyone else?

I don't want to make a fully Open source media center. I just want that my homemade media center work correctly. If i have to use proprietary driver that may work, it's not a problem for me.
I'll release my src on GitHub.

I just saw on some forum that driver sometime can't run 1080p video at 30 fps and this is a problem for me.

So the question is : Can i develop my own media center with Qt and run 1080p video without problems?

Gerrit

Quote from: architekth on November 26, 2014, 06:38:34 PM
So the question is : Can i develop my own media center with Qt and run 1080p video without problems?

mplayer or smplayer with the vdpau driver can play this without any problem (a20 lime2), but it need to be h264 coded
and i guess you need an SSD or other external harddisk to be fast enough

http://linux-sunxi.org/Cedrus