Hard disk on A20-OLinuXIno-LIME2 with external 12v and 5v

Started by oc67, June 05, 2015, 12:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc67

Hello

i've got a A20-OLinuXIno-LIME2 and i have only 3.5 hard disk
This module can plug sata and 5v for 2.5

Can i use external power supply (ATX,...) for plug molex on hard disk and plug SATA between LIME and 3.5 ?

Is it not dangerous for A20-OLinuXIno-LIME2 ?

thanks

Gerrit

QuoteCan i use external power supply (ATX,...) for plug molex on hard disk and plug SATA between LIME and 3.5 ?

I have tried this, it worked fine, don't know if different HD could react different, but think it would be a good idea to let the 5V from the board switch the 5V and 12V to the harddisk, like with a small relay

oc67

Quote from: Gerrit on June 05, 2015, 02:59:04 AM
QuoteCan i use external power supply (ATX,...) for plug molex on hard disk and plug SATA between LIME and 3.5 ?

I have tried this, it worked fine, don't know if different HD could react different, but think it would be a good idea to let the 5V from the board switch the 5V and 12V to the harddisk, like with a small relay

Good idea.

The 5v is always power ON or only if sata is plugged ?
(A hard disk will always plug on my board)

Thanks

deskwizard

Quick note...

If you decide to use a relay, be sure to use a flyback diode to protect against reverse voltage spike on the coil.
I would use mosfets myself.

Obviously, make sure the ground from the power supply is also connected with the A20 ground.

DW

Gerrit

Quote from: oc67 on June 05, 2015, 01:30:42 PM
The 5v is always power ON or only if sata is plugged ?
(A hard disk will always plug on my board)

from the manual:

Pay note the two jumpers 5V_E_SATA and PC3/PB8 located at the bottom of the board (under the
HDMI connector). The first one 5V_E_SATA is open by default because the board has software
control of the powering for the hard disk. If you close 5V_E_SATA there would always be 5V at the
5V_SATA_PWR connector.
Which pin does the software control of the SATA powering is determined by the position of the
PC3/PB8 jumper. By default PC3 is used.

script.fex:
[sata_para]
sata_used = 1
sata_power_en = port:PC03<1><default><default><0>

You have to use the sata power connector of course to switch the power to the HD

oc67

Quote from: deskwizard on June 05, 2015, 02:25:44 PM
Quick note...

If you decide to use a relay, be sure to use a flyback diode to protect against reverse voltage spike on the coil.
I would use mosfets myself.

I understand but i'm not electronician. (only electrician and my hobby is linux)
So i don't know how, what,... ;o))
Perhaps i don't need relay if i don't use 5v from board...

And if i use only sata on the board and power from ATX, i connect ground too between atx and board ?

Obviously, make sure the ground from the power supply is also connected with the A20 ground.

DW

The ground of 5v and 12v from power supply ?

Gerrit

QuoteI understand but i'm not electronician. (only electrician and my hobby is linux)

Its is just a diode parallel to the coil but with the - (cathode) side on the +5V from sata power connection from the board

QuoteAnd if i use only sata on the board and power from ATX, i connect ground too between atx and board ?

the data cable has its own ground leads in it, so an extra lead is not needed.

oc67

Quote from: Gerrit on June 05, 2015, 07:28:55 PM
QuoteI understand but i'm not electronician. (only electrician and my hobby is linux)

Its is just a diode parallel to the coil but with the - (cathode) side on the +5V from sata power connection from the board

Ok, it's clear (Perhaps adding a Zener)

QuoteAnd if i use only sata on the board and power from ATX, i connect ground too between atx and board ?

the data cable has its own ground leads in it, so an extra lead is not needed.

So, it's more easely to use separate power supply ATX and data cable
With ATX i can plug every thing (3.3v, 5v, 12v)

Thanks a lot.