October 06, 2024, 04:19:05 PM

LPDDR4 Component Difference

Started by spread59, July 31, 2024, 09:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spread59

Hello Everyone,

I am currently studying i.MX 8M Plus SoM board design (iMX8MP-SOM-4GB-IND) and have encounter that LPDDR4 IC that is used in the Olimex design have become obsolete.
Component product number is "MT53D1024M32D4DT-053 WT:D" and there I found an End of Life Notice from Micron Technology and it recommends "MT53E1G32D2FW-046 WT:B" as a replacement component.

In the Olimex Schmatics Sheet, there is a note that says there could be a difference on the LPDDR memories due to the supply unavailability.

As it seems, I have very little knowledge about LPDDR4 technology and need some answers.
I would like to ask that is this recommended components are fully compatible with each other? As in pinout, software dependency and in any other way. I need to know that would the board work if I replace this LPDDR4 component with a recommended one, without any other changes. And if so, how can I check myself that they are fully compatible?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

LubOlimex

Most importantly it should be same size and package, same voltage. Then it should have almost the same secondary features (timings, speed, etc).

If there are bigger differences (say different CL) some of these might be fixed by software means but this would require rebuilding the software with settings fitting your RAM.

Speaking from past experience it is 50/50 chance to replace the RAM and have the same performance without the need of software adjustment (even if you picked RAM with nearly identical specifications). In half of the cases you'd have to fiddle a bit with the software settings and rebuild the image to get it work well (or in some cases to boot).
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex