September 27, 2024, 02:30:06 AM

ESP32-POE-EA-IND

Started by DarthWeber, September 05, 2024, 08:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarthWeber

Hi,

since i want to power my ESP32-POE-EA-IND with external 12V via DC/DC to 5V:

- is it better to use the usb or the 5V Pin? I will use ethernet but no POE

- How much maximal current does the board expect itself (without peripherals) ?

Many Thanks,
Darth Weber

LubOlimex

It is the same from hardware point of view. It is the same power line. You should consider which is better for your project considering soldering to the header might be better for embedding in own projects and harder to disconnect, while the USB is convenient for easier unplugging but might get detached accidentally if no precautions are taken. The USB has another advantage if the board would be accessed by multiple people especially - it is harder to cause short-circuit by connecting USB powering if the USB port is already taken (while if you use the pins to power, the USB is free to plug USB and cause damage).

Consumption depends on code. Usually around 40mA with WIFI enabled but we recommend reserving at least 200mA @ 5V (1W) for the board just in case of spikes during initialization etc.

Notice that ESP32-POE still gets influenced by multiple grounds (if your Ethernet cable is shielded it has own ground). Just with PoE it is almost certain damage due to the high voltage of the PoE circuit. It is still advisable to measure voltage between different devices attached to ESP32-POE boards (remove the ESP32-POE and measure the ground difference between the ground of a shielded Ethernet cable and the ground of power supply or other attached peripherals powered from own power source).
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

DarthWeber

Thanks a lot, i think i will supply over the pin insted of USB.

Quote from: LubOlimex on September 05, 2024, 09:49:47 AM...Notice that ESP32-POE still gets influenced by multiple grounds (if your Ethernet cable is shielded it has own ground). Just with PoE it is almost certain damage due to the high voltage of the PoE circuit. It is still advisable to measure voltage between different devices attached to ESP32-POE boards (remove the ESP32-POE and measure the ground difference between the ground of a shielded Ethernet cable and the ground of power supply or other attached peripherals powered from own power source).

But this is only in the case if i power the ESP via POE, right?

LubOlimex

No, it can always be problem when voltage difference between grounds is big enough. Just with PoE enabled the damage is certain sooner or later. Without PoE you might sometimes get lucky.

DarthWeber

okay, wouldn't it be then better to connect the GND of the power source width the GND of the Ethernet?

LubOlimex

No, but you can measure if there is voltage and how high it is between those two grounds before connecting them.